Butterscotch Carrot Cake!
This recipe I found on La Casita Inspirada. I had everything I needed to make it except for carrots- so I sent my dad out to buy some when I made it sometime the week before last. Apparently he missed the shredded part- because he brought home whole carrots. The most agitating part was grating the carrots. It took ages- and they are deceptively large. It took all six carrots in the bag to get 2 cups of shredded carrots. But all in all, the work was worth it. I made two in ramekins (because I’m still obsessed with those) and one in a small loaf-type pan. The icing recipe I doubled, because I like a lot of icing. But other than that- this recipe was absolutely perfect as is! So I just followed it directly. My icing was a little runny- but that’s just one of those things I can’t really make. So I poured it on and then stuck it in the fridge to get it to solidify a little.
- 10 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup butterscotch chips
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Mix the butter/sugar/eggs until well combined.
- Mix together the carrots, spices, flour, and baking powder.
- Add the carrots/spices/flour/baking powder to the butter/eggs/sugar, slowly adding milk as you go.
- When all other ingredients are mixed, fold in the butterscotch chips.
- Spread the batter in an even layer in greased baking dish.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cake.
- Allow to cool.
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- Melt the butterscotch chips slowly in the microwave, stirring regularly to prevent any scorching.
- Cream the melted butterscotch and cream cheese together until smooth. Add milk and mix until it nice and smooth.
- Spread (or pour) onto the carrot cake
2 cups of carrots
Butter + Brown Sugar
Eggs + Butter + Brown Sugar
Carrots + Spices + Flour + Baking Powder
Folding in butterscotch chips
Batter in a ramekin
Out of the Ramekin
Ramekin Cake = Delicious
Posted on May 2, 2011, in Dessert, Recipe and tagged baking, butterscotch, butterscotch carrot cake, butterscotch cream cheese icing, carrot, carrot cake, cream cheese icing, dessert, food, recipe. Bookmark the permalink. 6 Comments.