Strawberry Shortcake Parfaits
So I’m finally posting the final recipe from last week’s dinner, which consisted of Chicken Pie, Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots, and Fried Squash. It was the prequel to my Strawberry Cobbler. When I originally bought strawberries, I was going to have standard strawberry shortcake. While looking for shortcake recipes, I saw a few pictures of parfaits- so I decided to go that route instead.
The only difficult part of this was actually finding my parfait glasses. Apparently my dad had taken them outside and put them in the boxes with the stuff that he intends to yard sale. I rescued all six of my glasses, and mad six strawberry parfaits that were really great.
Homemade shortcake is not very sweet- just to forewarn anyone. It’s not like using soft, angel food cake. The texture is that of a biscuit- because it basically is just a sweet biscuit. I loved it, though!
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3/4 cup of half & half
- melted butter to brush the cakes with
- Preheat oven to 450°
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a bowl.
- Cut in the butter and the shortening.
- Mix in the half & half.
- Drop by large spoonfuls onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the tops with melted butter and then sprinkle the tops of the biscuits with the sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until brown.
- Short Cake
- Heavy Whipping Cream (or whipped cream/cool whip)
- A few tablespoons of sugar
Building the Parfaits
- Slice the strawberries (as many as you desire). After slicing, add all of them to a large bowl. Sprinkle with sugar and add about 1/4 of a cup of water and stir. Allow them to sit in the sugar for a while so that the juices can seep and be delicious.
- Whip your cream if you want to make it yourself. When whipping the cream add sugar and vanilla flavoring to taste.
- Layer your parfait glasses! I suggest using whipped cream for the bottom- I used shortcake and wished I hadn’t. Anyway- layer the whipped cream, shortcake, and strawberries until it reaches the top of the glass. Use as much or as little of each ingredient as you desire.
- Refrigerate until eating.
I like taking pictures of berries, okay?!
Lots of berries!
Fresh and Delicious!
Berries tossed with sugar!
Cutting in the butter and shortening for the shortcakes
Dropped onto the pan
Makes about a dozen!
Brushed with butter and sprinkled with sugar
Freshly baked cake!
layered in the parfait glasses
all six parfaits!
Posted on April 15, 2011, in Breakfast, Dessert, Recipe and tagged breakfast, dessert, parfait, recipe, shortcake, strawberries, strawberry, strawberry shortcake, strawberry shortcake parfait, whipped cream. Bookmark the permalink. 5 Comments.