What’s Up Doc? – Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots
Me, DL Dzioba, and Neesha like to go to this local Japanese restaurant called Ichiba. They have the most delicious sweet carrots that they serve, and when we had chicken pie and squash last week, I made these carrots to with it. They were really great- not as good as what we get at Ichiba, but still pretty freaking delicious. Just like the squash, after dinner all of the carrots were gone. They were tender and sweet. And it was my first time ever cooking carrots, so I can’t really complain about the results. I followed this recipe for the most part, and ended up with way more glaze than was needed and had to drain it a few times before I could get a small enough amount in the pan to thicken. So that’s one thing to keep in mind. (Although I’m not quite sure I had the 2lbs of carrots that it called for, either.)
Another thing to keep in mind is this post is being written after midnight. Usually I write my posts early in the day and schedule them to post right after midnight. Today I’ve been playing World of Warcraft and kind of… forgot. So this post might make very little sense or be a tad more whimsical than it usually is.
- 2lbs carrots, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter/margarine
- Steam your carrots. We have a vegetable steamer that I used. The recipe above says to simmer the carrots 12-15 minutes or until tender.
- When you carrots are close to being done, melt the butter in a sauce pan. Then stir in the brown sugar and salt. Make sure the sugar is well dissolved. Stir this brown sugar mixture or it will scorch and taste… well, scorched! After all of your sugar is gone, remove it from the heat.
- Drain your carrots from step 1, and then stir them into the brown sugar mixture.
- Simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The glaze will thicken slightly and the carrots should soak a lot of it up.
- If needed, you can drain off some of the brown sugar mixture (like I had to do).
- Make sure the carrots cool a little before eating! Or you will burn your mouth.
some sliced carrots
more sliced carrots
steaming the carrots
brown sugar and butter
melting it together
way too much butter & brown sugar
after draining the glaze and simmering for a while- ready to eat!
Posted on April 14, 2011, in Dinner, Recipe and tagged brown sugar, brown sugar glazed carrots, carrot, carrots, cooked carrots, dinner, glazed carrots, recipe, side dish. Bookmark the permalink. 4 Comments.