This recipe comes from one of my current favorite books- Complete Baking from Martha Day. I found it at Ollie’s for like 6 dollars and has tons of recipes in it. Everything I have tried out of it so far has been incredibly delicious. I did this one straight from the book, instead of my usual tweaking. The final product was- more or less- mediocre. I am a huge fan of toffee and of brown sugar. Basically my toffee bars ended up and fluffy- like a large pan of gigantic cookie. I should have split it into two pans, or only used half. But- what can you do? So I guess this is a semi-success.
- 1 lb light brown sugar
- 1 lb butter/margarine at room temperature
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 lb flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4oz milk chocolate broken into pieces
- Heath Toffee Bits
- Preheat the oven to 350°
- Beat the sugar & butter until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks and vanilla. Stir in the flour and salt.
- Spread the dough in a greased baking dish/pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately place chocolate pieces on top of the hot biscuit base. Let stand until chocolate softens, and then spread it evenly with a spatula.
- Sprinkle with heath bits.
- While still warm, cut into bars.
butter and sugar
batter with eggs
in the pan