Moon Pies & Left Over Candy
So after my S’mores Pie failure- I decided I really needed a better chocolate pick-me-up. I’ve had a rough week (detailed in my personal blog) so I’ve just wanted something sweet that makes me happy. Growing up I have always loved moon pies, and decided I’d look for a recipe that might work in making them. Eventually I made chocolate cookies, melted marshmallows for the filling, and then dipped them in melted chocolate. Incredibly simple- and incredibly delicious. I wasn’t sure, at first, if it would turn out well- but it did. I’m glad to not be blogging another failure!
- 1 1/2 sticks butter softened
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flower
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 hershey’s bars
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Cream butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar together.
- Mix in the flour/cinnamon/cocoa powder/flour with a spatula until just combined.
- Turn out cookie dough onto a sheet of tinfoil. Wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- After refrigerating, remove dough from the foil wrapper.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Pinch off some dough and roll it into a ball with your hands. Then smash the ball between your hands to create a flattened disc. Place this cookie onto a pan lined with parchment paper. Do this until all of the dough has been used. (Aim for an even number since you’re making sandwiches!)
- Bake for 10-12 minutes- be careful not to over bake!
- Remove cookies from oven and place on wire racks to cool.
- After cookies are cool, melt the marshmallows in a bowl in the microwave. Be careful or they will explode. About 20 seconds should do it.
- Place a dollop of marshmallows onto a cookie, and press another on top of it to make a sandwich. Repeat until all cookies are used.
- Place the dark chocolate and Hershey’s milk chocolate in a microwave safe bowl along with the vegetable oil. Melt the chocolate in the microwave (in 30 second bursts to prevent burning).
- After chocolate is melted, dip each sandwich in the melted chocolate. Remove from melted chocolate with fork or spoon and let it drip- then place on parchment paper. Repeat until all sandwiches are dipped.
- Place moon pies in the fridge for a couple of hours- or until chocolate hardens. Enjoy!
- Toss leftover marshmallows in chocolate.
- Spread out on sheet of parchment paper.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and heath bits (or anything else you have lying around).
- Refrigerate for tasty candy snack!
creaming butter, vanilla, and sugar
mixing in dry ingredients
ready to refrigerate
ball of dough
flattened dough ball
cookies ready to bake
marshmallows in microwave
marshmallows on cookies!
chocolate in bowls
melted chocolate & oil
dipping a pie
after chocolate has hardened
cut in half!
tossing left over marshmallows in chocolate
chocolate covered marshmallows with heath bits
left over candy hardened!